OMT can be invaluable in optimizing the health of children, as well as it addresses a wide range of conditions. The more gentle, balancing techniques that osteopaths employ, commonly known as cranial osteopathy or “osteopathy in the cranial field”, make osteopathic manipulation especially suitable for children.
During an osteopathic treatment, the physician will restore balance to your child’s muscles, joints and nervous system, using techniques that include stretching, gentle pressure, and resistance. The treatment process is gentle and relaxing. Many parents notice that their children are more relaxed, better behaved and sleep more soundly after receiving a treatment.
Some common conditions that occur in babies, if left untreated, may persist, or become apparent in the young child. Other ailments in young children that can be effectively treated with osteopathic manipulative treatment (OMT) include:
- Musculoskeletal pains/strains
- Sports injuries
- Recurrent ear infections
- Asthma/allergies/recurrent chest infections
- Sinus problems/infections
- Recurrent tonsillitis
- Learning and behavioral problems
- Growing pains
- Postural problems, assisting in prevention of curvature of the spine (scoliosis)
- Attention deficit disorder (ADD)